Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Another steak

IMG 5662
Gasquet, California, February 15, 2016—
HARDLY ANY PLACE to stay the night, let alone eat dinner, between Grants Pass and Crescent City. But this morning on our way to Cave Junction we noticed this place along the road, and found out it was open on a Monday night, and had a room, so we gave it a chance.

A really nice room: King-sized bed, couch, good light, warm, bath tub. We haven't made the wi-fi work, so this will have to wait a day or so to hit the blogosphere, but nothing wrong with staying offline for a night.

At six o'clock we were the only people in the dining room, and by 7:30, when it was closing, only one other couple had appeared. THe menu's a bit restricted, running to steaks of various persuasions.

I opened with a house salad, composed of lettuce, little pear tomatoes, cucumber slices, beets, and pickled peppers. (I happily traded my beets for my companion's peppers.)

Afterward, this 10-ounce top sirloin, nicely cooked to my specification, with a baked potato, which I treated to the very light oil that came on my oil-and-vinegar tray.

Pinot noir, Castle Rock, 2009
•Patrick Creek Lodge, 13950 Highway 199, Gasquet, California; 707-457-3323

RESTAURANTS VISITED, with information and rating: 2016
(2015 restaurants)

No comments: