Sunday, February 2, 2014

Spanish omelet

Eastside Road, February 2, 2014—

THIS WAS A FAMILIAR dish when I was a kid: "Spanish omelet." Lindsey mentioned planning an omelet when we got home today, after a couple of days on the road, and I knew guacamole was in the works, so why not try to keep some kind of thematic unity?

I chopped an onion rather coarsely and softened it in olive oil, then added three Roma tomatoes, also chopped. They cooked slowly while I made the guacamole in the usual way. 

After we'd eaten the guacamole, with Friday's Martini postponed to tonight, I beat half a dozen eggs. I poured the cooked tomato-and-onion sauce out onto a dinner plate, added a little more olive oil, and poured in the eggs, cooking them the way I usually do for an omelet. When the bottom was done, I put the reserved sauce on top, folded the egg back over it, cut it in half, and that was it.

With it, as you see, broccoli steamed with garlic and salt, and a couple of bagels the 20th Century Café gave us the other day. Afterward, green salad.

Cheap Barbera d'Asti

No comments: