Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday salmon

Eastside Road, Healdsburg, September 26, 2009—
I KNOW WE SHOULD eat locally, and we try to do just that. But Saturday is farm market day in Healdsburg, and The Fish Guy is always there, but the local salmon isn't. Hasn't been any for two years now, a function of drought and misplaced social priorities (don't get me started). And we have to have salmon; it's very good for us, and the hunger for it is in our genes. (As far as I know, salmon was local to virtually every sea-going stream in the temperate zone, worldwide, until fairly recent historic times.)
For quite a while now we've been making do with frozen wild salmon from Alaska, and it's quite good. But today The Fish Guy had coho salmon. I didn't ask him where he got it, not because it's none of my business, because it is, but because I just didn't want to. It was delicious with the "willow" lima beans from Nancy Skall, and I look forward to a chocolate chip cookie for dessert.
Cheap Pinot grigio

No comments: