Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Padrones

Padrones.jpg
Eastside Road, October 5, 2015—
THEY'VE BECOME a cliché, I suppose, but dammit I do love Padron peppers. They're the right size, the right degree of heat, a beautiful color, not terribly expensive if you're lucky and patient. And they're so easy to prepare. Cook rinsed them off and drained them for me in a sieve; I often don't even bother with rinsing them. I just heat a little olive oil in the black iron skillet, throw in a little bit of coarse sea salt, and toss in the peppers, stems and all. When they're blistered and, in some places, black, they're ready to eat. I even eat most of the stems. Why not?

Otherwise, cold roast chicken, potato salad, and green salad afterward.
Garnacha/Monastrell, Laya (Almansa), Old Vines, 2013
Restaurants visited in 2015 are listed at Eatingday's Restaurants

1 comment:

Curtis Faville said...

We had them at Cesar's--where they're a mainstay of the menu--on Wednesday.

We're in our familiar warm late Fall lull in the weather here in the Bay Area.

I can't say I eat the stems--it's fun to try to bite all the way up to the stem, without losing any of the meat.

They're truly a new food, something my parents knew nothing about.