Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Polenta

Eastside Road, Healdsburg, February 18, 2009

WHEN I WAS A BOY we called it corn-meal mush, and had it rarely, and then usually as a breakfast cereal, eating it with sugar and milk. Skim milk: for I separated the cream from the milk every morning, standing at the DeLaval machine and winding it to a steady F-sharp; and then the cream went into steel cans that were picked up by a truck from a rickety platform by the side of Blank Road, a platform under which I took refuge from the pounding rains waiting for the school bus.

But now we call it polenta. Lindsey cooks it in the stainless-steel pot, the one with one Bakelite handle left, the other long since burned off, and smoothes it with a whisk. We had red sauce left over from the pasta a couple of days ago, and it only improves with the passing days, unlike other items around here.
Cheap cĂ´tes de Ventoux 2006, "La ferme Julien"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello:
Forgive me, but I'm trying to get a message to Lindsey Shere. I'm a journalist writing a small book about strawberries (published by San Francisco magazine for the Golden Gate Restaurant Association). It's a book about chefs and restaurants, focusing on varieties, growers, and a certain amount of strawberry history.
I would like to interview Mrs Shere about the changes she saw in the availability of strawberries, from the days (as she writes in CP Desserts) when finding good commercially farmed berries was difficult, to a time when beautiful, fragrant, locally-harvested strawberries are farmers' market fixtures.
I'm seeking a phone interview. My deadline is March 4.
Thank you.
John Birdsall
510 589 3360
jwbirdsall@sbcglobal.net